I thought I'd share some of my go-to lenten recipes that we make around here. I think these are our go to meals because A.) they are kid approved and your taste buds will thank you. B.) Each recipe has a nostalgic, feel good memory tied to it. First up is a creamy tomato tortellini soup. This soup served with french bread is a killer combo. I remember a friend making this soup for me shortly after Sophia was born. I remember feeling reallllly tired that day and reallllly thankful I didn't have to cook as we adjusted to life as a family of four. Tomato soup and grilled cheese is a favorite of mine, or at least it was until this tomato soup came into my life. When making this meal it takes me back to a tiny Sophia and a feeling of gratitude for good friends that want to take care of you in a time of need.
Creamy Tortellini: (recipe from tasteofhome.com)
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Additional shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook tortellini according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, combine the soup, broth, milk, cream, tomatoes and seasonings. Heat through, stirring frequently. Drain tortellini; carefully add to soup. Stir in cheese. Sprinkle each serving with additional cheese if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Next up is my mom's salmon patties. I'm pretty sure the recipe is right on the can of salmon but I'll share anyway. I remember eating this as a kid. Of course back then they were smothered in ketchup...well, who am I kidding? I still smother stuff in ketchup. But I just remember it being one of my favorite meals and I can see why my mom made it as well. It's super easy and takes no time at all.
Salmon patties: (recipe from simplyrecipes.com)
- 1 (14.75 ounce) can salmon, undrained and flaked
- 1 slice of bread, shredded
- 3 Tbsp chopped green onion, including the green parts
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped dill weed, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3 Tbsp minced green bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Several turns of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
Sidenote:We also serve this with a side of fries...it goes great with it!